Sunday, June 16, 2013

Tournament Report 6/16/13

So, I went to locals, as usual.  What was different was that my Vanguard friend and I decided to skip the Vanguard tournaments yesterday.  We just spent the day playing Kaijudo, so that was cool.  Apparently, there's a 72% chance of him outright quitting Vanguard because not only are most of the Vanguard players we encounter stupid, but the game is getting ridiculously broken.  That percentage will probably increase once we see the new episode of the Vanguard anime next weekend.

Today, we participated in the Kaijudo tournament at the usual card shop.  I was using my new LFN Megabug build, and my friend was using his WFN Aggro deck.  There were a total of 7 players there.

Round 1: vs LWDF Control

This was my Round 1 opponent from this Kaijudo tournament.  He was playing a 60-card deck with a bunch of Dragons, but I didn't see any Fire Birds.

-Duel 1: I opened up with a bunch of high-level creatures that I couldn't really do anything with.  I couldn't beat him before he got to turn 9, so I ended up losing.  I mean, I drew my Mana Ticks starting on turn 8, so that was way too late, and I didn't even get anything from the effects.  By that time, I had to start recklessly breaking shields, because the longer the game went on, the harder it would be for me to win, and he ended up having three Shield Blasts down, so there was no way I could've won that game.
-Duel 2: Again, I didn't open with any small creatures besides Keeper of Laws, which wasn't useful.  He was able to drop Andromeda, General Skycrusher, and a bunch of big Dragons to take control of the field.  I summoned Ra-Vu and Gilaflame in an attempt to slowly break his shields.  I attacked with Ra-Vu, tapping Gilaflame for Andromeda's effect, and I ended up hitting a Stormspark Blast, which let him kill all of my cards, including Ra-Vu because he had a Billion-Degree Dragon.  So, I basically lost as soon as I broke that first shield.

XX

Round 2: vs Mono-Fire Rush

Ugh, the dreaded Mono-Fire Rush...

-Duel 1: He rushed me and I lost by turn 6.  I had no Shield Blasts down or small creatures to kill his small creatures.  I had to use Tornado Flame on his Blaze Belcher; that was how bad it was.
-Duel 2: He couldn't rush me from the start, so I was able to stabilize and drop two Ra-Vus to prevent him from killing me.  My bugs didn't even do anything in this game.
-Duel 3: He rushed me and I lost by turn 4... I had a Stormspark Blast in the shields, but that was the last shield he broke and there was nothing left that hadn't attacked...

XOX

So that was pretty terrible.  I ended up getting a bye in the third and final round.  I think that I'm going to have to take Ra-Vu out of the deck in favor of some smaller Blockers, even if they can't attack shields.  Aside from that, I don't know what else I could do.  I know that some sort of control deck would probably be a better option, but the control mirror-match is disgusting.  Over half the people at locals play control, and I hate sitting through control mirror-matches because as soon as one side takes control, the rest of the game is just a formality, but takes an additional 20 minutes...

On the bright side, my friend went 2-1 and got 3rd place, winning one additional pack.  We didn't pull anything good, though.  At least we both got promo cards, even if both of them were Grybolos...

So, that's about it.  I'm just going to spend the rest of today doing nothing, and I'll figure out my Kaijudo deck tomorrow or something. I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to have to start running Ambush Scorpion, though...

11 comments:

  1. Look like your megabug deck is a failure once more. Oh well, at least it has its wins the couple of games back then. But then, it's really harsh of you to say those vanguard players are stupid. Sure, they may or may not know what they are doing, but that doesn't mean you can call them names. I believe the correct term would simply be "bad players". No need for name calling like "stupid players".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For someone so judgmental, it's ironic that you're criticizing my view on Vanguard players.

      I don't think that my Megabug deck is a "failure", seeing as how I can fix it. Not to mention that over a fourth of the deck was Level 5 or lower creatures and I wasn't drawing any of them for some reason. I'll just have to add more.

      As for my view on Vanguard players, I think that if they cannot do simple addition, which many of them can't, then I have the right to call them stupid. Seriously, some of these people sit there for a minute trying to add 9k to 6k. I'm not exaggerating.

      Delete
  2. What is the foundation into building the good Kaijudo deck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The official Kaijudo website has a lot of tips for building Kaijudo decks. In fact, there's one that is oddly specific to your question:

      http://www.kaijudo.com/blog/strategies-tips/the-kaijudo-code-foundations-of-deck-building/

      That article covers the basics behind building a Kaijudo deck. If you have any further questions after reading the article, feel free to ask.

      Delete
    2. If I am aiming for fast aggro deck, what should I look out for?

      Delete
    3. Well, there's two types of aggro decks that seem to be working pretty well in the current meta.

      One would be the Light/Water/Nature Aggro deck that topped a few KMC's recently. It focuses on Starseed Squadron to turn your creatures into Double Breakers and end the game quickly. It requires quite a few expensive cards (Starseed Squadron and Lyra, the Blazing Sun are the main ones) and would be relatively difficult to make from scratch, however. There's actually an article about the deck here:

      http://articles.alterealitygames.com/deck-spotlight-leap-of-faith/

      The other one would be the Water/Fire/Nature Aggro deck that I helped my Vanguard friend make, which is based off of one of EarthP0w3r's decks. It's pretty easy to make this type of deck from just a few Starter Decks (specifically Bull Rush, Skycrusher's Might, and Psychic Assault) and a few extra non-holo cards from various packs. This deck is a little more difficult to sum up as opposed to the first one, so I'll just provide you a couple of links to explanations of the deck.

      Here's one to the deck profile video of EarthP0w3r's deck:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ7vydAishE

      And here's one to an article written by CVH about a slightly different version of the same deck:

      http://articles.alterealitygames.com/wfn-aggro-in-the-current-metagame/

      And of course, there's Mono-Fire Rush, which is the fastest deck in the game. It has consistency issues, of course, but it can do well and is relatively easy to make. I'm not sure if this was what you were asking about, since Rush and Aggro are regarded as different types of decks even though they are similar in some ways. But, I felt that I might as well mention it anyway.

      Delete
  3. out of curiosity where do u play vanguard/kaijudo? Also, i think i may try kaijudo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play at a couple different card shops in Southern California.

      Delete
    2. was one of those shops called card rush by any chance?

      Delete
    3. Actually, yes. They have the evening Vanguard tournaments that I go to sometimes. The shop that has the Kaijudo tournaments every Sunday morning is Three J's Sportscards, which is about a 10 minute drive away from Card Rush.

      Delete
  4. well now i understand the little kid situation u have. they annoyed me too. I actually go to a shop in whittier, that is more mature, and the players are better, so it makes vanguard more fun.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.