Sunday, May 26, 2013

Tournament Report 5/25/13 & 5/26/13

Because I'm off from school tomorrow, I was able to go to locals both days this weekend.  I even stopped by on Friday to buy two boxes of Clash of the Duel Masters for Aki and myself.  I recorded a box opening video, but it was really boring, so I decided not to upload it.  I ended up pulling some alright stuff, but it's a big set, and I'd rather not just list everything I pulled.  The main thing I'm disappointed about is that I only pulled one Featherfin Stalker.

Regardless, I went to the usual card shop yesterday for the Kaijudo Set Premiere.  It ended up being a three round event, and each time you win a round, you get a promo card.  I pulled a Truthseeker Forion and a Tatsurion the Relentless from my five packs, made a terrible deck because it's sealed, and only won one round.  But, the shopkeeper had a lot of extra promos (no one wanted Fault-Line Dragon), so he gave people whom only won one round an extra Fault-Line Dragon.  I won a Wild Sky Sword, so that was good.

After that, I just waited around and watched the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament.  My friend who plays Vanguard couldn't make it until like 5:30, so I just watched a bunch of Evilswarm mirror matches and played the Vanguard video game.

My friend and I decided to go to the card shop where the Team League Regional will be located to check it out and maybe join their tournament.  They ended up having a free team tournament yesterday, but we didn't get there until a few minutes after they closed registration... It took like half an hour to get there from the usual two card shops, so we won't be going back there again, except for the Team League.The fact that it was so far away meant that we weren't able to make it back to the evening Vanguard tournament in time, so we just let all of the little kids play each other.

My friend was able to get me the Maiden of Trailing Roses I needed, so I've just about completed my Arboros Dragon Neo Nectar deck.  So, I tried that out against my friend, who wanted to use my Pale Moon deck.  He won one of three games, and he got a sixth-damage Heal Trigger to save him in that game, so yeah.

We also played Kaijudo to practice for the tournament today.  I fixed up his Enforcer deck, but he wanted to use Aki's Dragon Rush deck, which Aki left with me before he left for Japan.  I added the one Infernus the Immolator that I got from the two boxes, and we played a few games.

Then, we got to watch the new episode of Vanguard on my phone, like we usually do every Saturday after the Vanguard tournaments.  I was personally satisfied by the outcome of the match between Aichi and Ren.  The loser had an opportunity to win, but misplayed (it was a really obvious misplay, too) and lost because of it.  Not that Vanguard takes much skill, since both sides were pulling triggers every turn.

But yeah, on the following day, we went to the Kaijudo tournament at the usual card shop.  I was using a four-Civ deck (everything except Fire), and my friend was using Aki's Dragon Rush deck.  There were three other people there, so it was a small tournament.

It was kind of silly, too, because I only played one round.  I just played the first round against Fwazalaza and lost because he rushed me with two Coriles, Keeper of Laws, and Paladio in the first game whereas I didn't have a play until turn 7, and then all of my finishers were in my shields, so my hand was just full of Spells in the second game while he built up a ridiculous field thanks to double Nix and Dreadclaw.

After that, I got a bye, while my friend, who had gotten a bye in the first round, got paired down and won.  So, I ended up getting a bye again because I couldn't play against Fwazalaza again, so he had to play against the my friend's previous opponent.  My friend ended up losing the finals because he ran out of patience, but whatever.

What was really stupid was that despite getting two byes, I got 2nd place.  I don't understand why, but I took the extra two packs and the Saracon.  My friend and I just got packs of Rise of the Duel Masters (the base set), since they were out of Clash, and I pulled a third Ra-Vu, Seeker of Lightning and a third Gigahorn Charger, so that was good.  The shopkeeper raffled out the remaining promos, and my friend got a Saracon, which he gave to me, so now I have three.  I doubt I'd use that many, but they're nice to have.

But yeah, that's about it.  I'm going to try and go to the Kaijudo tournament next weekend, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.  I shouldn't have that much homework this week, but we'll see.  If I do go, I'll probably play Megacolony.  Yes, Megacolony in Kaijudo.  I'm going to make a Megabug deck, since I pulled one Hive Queen and was able to trade for a second one today.  But yeah, I'll have to figure all of this out by next weekend...

8 comments:

  1. Why didn't you take a few picture of that card shop for the upcoming vanguard regional? We would really like to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would you want to see pictures of a card shop?

      Delete
    2. Dunno, probably might look grand to some peoples.

      Delete
    3. Well, that's odd. I mean, you can always just find pictures of card shops online.

      Delete
    4. Is that card shop where Team League regional is located big?

      Delete
    5. Not particularly. It's about as big as either of the other card shops I usually go to.

      Delete
  2. The lack of kaijudo players in the tournament irk me. And you lost again although you manage to get 2nd due to 2 bye. But that doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there were 12 players at the Set Premiere; most of them probably couldn't make it to locals both days.

      And I know that getting 2nd place with two byes doesn't count. As stupid as it was, I couldn't really control it. I didn't even get a chance to make up for my loss in the first round.

      Either way, I'm going to try to focus my deck a little more so that it has a better early game. The Megabugs should help a lot with that.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.