Sunday, May 19, 2013

Tournament Report 5/18/13

As usual, I went to locals yesterday.  Unfortunately, my friend who plays Vanguard wasn't able to make it, and I needed three Maiden of Trailing Roses from him to complete my Arboros Dragon Neo Nectar deck, so I wasn't able to use the deck yesterday.  I also decided that I didn't want to wait for like five hours between the morning and evening Vanguard tournaments by myself, so I just went to locals late in the afternoon.

When I got there, I talked to the shopkeeper at the usual card shop and learned about the format for next weekend's Kaijudo Set Premiere.  It's going to be a sealed deck tournament, with everyone using five packs of the new set, Clash of the Duel Masters, to make a deck.  There would be three rounds, and you'd get a promo card for each round you win.  I already asked my friend who plays Vanguard if he could participate to help me get promo cards, and he agreed to do so.  I'll need to teach him the basics of deck-building in Kaijudo, but it's not too difficult, especially since we'll only have 45 cards to work with, anyway.

Besides that, I sold my Number 11: Big Eye.  It was in my Gem-Knight deck, but I haven't been playing Yu-Gi-Oh, so I decided that I'd rather have cash than a shiny piece of cardboard that I don't even use anymore.  I was offered $80 for it, and that was good enough for me.  I mean, I got it for $12 a while ago, so that's a considerable amount of profit.

After that, I went to the other card shop for their evening Vanguard tournament.  There were 15 players there, two-third of which were little kids.  Again, there was really no challenge.  Regardless, I decided to use my Dark Irregulars since I haven't used them in a while and one kid was playing Aqua Dorks.

I got a bye for the first round, so that was nice.  I just scoped out the competition, as though it actually matters, since it's Vanguard...

Round 2: vs Tachikaze (Raptor-series)

This was my Round 3 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  He got gradestuck both games, so I won.

OO

Round 3: vs Kagero (Lawkeeper)

This was my Round 3 opponent from last weekend's evening Vanguard tournament.  He was still using Raopia... Anyways, I lost the first game because I got gradestuck on Grade 0.  I won the second game because I drew well, and then I won the third game because he got gradestuck on Grade 2.

XOO

Round 4: vs Kagero (The End)

This was my Top 8 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament.  I lost the first game because I the only triggers I got all game were my two Stand Triggers (not to say that Stand Triggers are bad, since they're not, but they were just the only triggers I got all game...).  But, I won the following two games because he got gradestuck both games.

XOO

So, I went undefeated because I got really lucky that my opponents kept getting gradestuck.  I literally won only one real game today, meaning that I only won one game where my opponent didn't get gradestuck.  And people think that Vanguard is a skill-intensive game...

But yeah, they cut to Top 4 after that.  My Round 2 and Round 4 opponents made it, along with my Round 2 opponent from this evening Vanguard tournament, who was using Machining Megacolony.  We just split and got four packs each.  I pulled garbage from my packs of Set 8, but it's not like I really needed anything.

So yeah, that's it.  My friend who plays Vanguard and I will go to the Kaijudo Set Premiere next Saturday, and I'll also be getting two boxes of the new set for Aki and myself.  And since I have school off on the following Monday (May 27), I should be able to go to the Kaijudo tournament on that Sunday as well, so that'll be cool.  I'll have less than a day to make two new decks (one for myself and one for my friend) with the new cards I pull, but I'll have plenty of time after the Set Premiere and before the evening Vanguard tournament to do so.

Speaking of which, for the evening Vanguard tournament, my friend and I intend on checking out a different card shop than the usual two.  That's the card shop where the Team League Regional that we're going to attend will be held, so we thought it'd be a good idea to check the place out before the Regional, even if it's a little bit farther away.  Oh, and apparently their Vanguard tournaments are free...

6 comments:

  1. You, Sir. Is the only one unique DI player I ever know in existence to put stand triggers in the DI deck...Ummm...yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stand Triggers are good, and Dark Irregulars have a bunch of 11k beaters as well as Doreen the Thruster. So yeah, Stand Triggers work alright in Dark Irregulars. It's not like I need more Critical Triggers, since Death Anchor already has its Death Brace effect.

      Delete
    2. Sure, death anchor has innate critical skill, but you can always pass those critical triggers to your rearguard for more punishable result.

      Delete
    3. It's not like I don't run Critical Triggers, it's just that I don't need to run eight...

      Delete
  2. Hell yea, make that money sellin shiny cardboard. Can't believe people are spending so much money on a terribad format. Oh well we can profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember how pot of duality and Tour guide used to sell over 100.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.