Monday, March 18, 2013

Tournament Report 3/17/13

I went to locals on Saturday, as usual, but I couldn't post this yesterday because Aki and I were making videos, and after that, I had to memorize stuff for the finals that I took today.  But yeah.

The usual card shop had a Kaijudo Sneak Preview event for DragonStrike Infernus.  When I walked in, the shopkeeper handed me the sign-up list for the Vanguard tournament, though.  I told him that I wanted to do the Kaijudo event, "Kaijudo takes precedence over Vanguard, always."

They were out of boxes of the new set, unfortunately, so I just got three packs and pulled two Dragon of Reflections.  I played a few matches against Fwazalaza to fulfill some of the "Achievements" necessary to get the promo cards, so I got both promos.  I also traded an Orion, Radiant Fury, for a Colbalt the Storm Knight, Hyperspeed Dragon, and Gigahorn Charger.  I'm planning on making an Enforcer-based deck, but I'm going to wait and see what we pull from DragonStrike Infernus.  Aki and I are going to split a box, see what we get, then maybe get a second box.  But, that'll have to wait until next weekend.

There were like six people at the morning Vanguard tournament, if you're wondering.  My friend who plays Vanguard, Riku, and spondo were all there.  spondo won the tournament because he trigger-sacked everyone, or so I was told.

After a while, my friend, Riku, and I went to the evening Vanguard tournament.  There were 15 players there.  I bought a couple Werewolf Siegers to put in my deck, since Blue Dust hasn't been doing anything.  My Round 1 opponent from last weekend's evening Vanguard tournament gave me an Edel Rose that was collecting dust in his binder, and I used it to replace the one Evil Eye Basilisk that hasn't been doing anything, either.

Round 1: vs Bermuda Triangle

This guy was actually a fairly competent player.  He was using a Raindeer-based deck, but it's Bermuda Triangle, so it's not that much of a threat.  Anyways, he got more triggers than me all three games, but the Breakdown Death Brace and ridiculous Doreen columns are enough to win regardless.  In the third game, I went for a final turn when he was at 5 damage with four cards in hand by making all of my columns at least 30k using Doreens to boost my rear-guards.  He needed three perfect guards, but that obviously wasn't going to happen, so I won.

OXO

Round 2: vs Gold Paladin (Spectral Duke)

This was my Round 3 opponent from last weekend's evening Vanguard tournament.  He got his ride chain both games, and even though he got gradestuck on Grade 2 in the first game, he kept getting triggers both games, while I got very few (like, less than five total), so I lost.

XX

Round 3: vs Royal Paladin (Majesty Lord)

This was my Round 1 opponent from last weekend's evening Vanguard tournament, the one who gave me the Edel Rose earlier today. Anyways, I made ridiculous columns in the first game to win, but lost the following two games because he got more triggers than me.  I couldn't even Death Brace because I didn't draw my Death Anchor in the third game.  But yeah, it's Vanguard.

OXX
And the fact that Vanguard is so luck-based is what makes me glad that Kaijudo tournaments will start next month.  They're still going to be on Sundays because the shopkeeper of the usual card shop has no faith in the game.  I would like to be able to go to the Kaijudo tournaments, but my schedule makes it really inconvenient.  It's mainly the fact that I'd have to give up 12 hours of playing card games with friends every week just to go to a short Kaijudo tournament that none of my friends, except maybe Fwazalaza or Aki, assuming they're able to attend, will be at.

I guess I could try going to the first one, on April 7, with Aki, and we'll see how it goes.  I shouldn't have any homework on that weekend, so I should be able to go.  After that, though, I'll just have to see how my schedule works out.  And I guess I could potentially start going to Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments with my Gem-Knights after Hidden Arsenal 7 is released, but I don't think that it's worth it.  But yeah, this is all stuff that I'll have to figure out.

Anyways, the tournament organizer cut to Top 8 after the third round.  My friend was undefeated, so he obviously made it.  Riku went 2-1, and just barely made it at 8th place.  He played against my Round 2 opponent and lost because his opponent got the ride chain two out of the three games.  My friend won his Top 8 match against a little kid using Narukami without Vermillions (I don't know how he made Top 8, but it's Vanguard...), then beat my Round 3 opponent in the semi-finals.  He refused to split, as usual, and ended up beating a The End Kagero deck in the finals to win the tournament and 10 packs.

My friend decided that he wanted to finish his Tsukuyomi Oracle Think Tank deck, finally, and got packs of Set 3.  He pulled a Grade 2 Tsukuyomi and a Grade 3 Tsukuyomi, and he traded for another Grade 2 Tsukuyomi so he now has all of the cards he needs for the deck.  Seriously, he was just sitting on the entire deck except for two copies of the Grade 2 Tsukuyomi.  So he should be able to finish the deck by next weekend, since he's gotten bored of Soulless OTT.

But yeah, that's about it.  There's the Sneak Preview for Extra Booster 1 for Vanguard next weekend, but I don't really care about that, so I'm just skipping the morning Vanguard tournament.  I'll spend that time sleeping, probably.  I can just show up later and get the Kaijudo box(es) before going to the evening Vanguard tournament.  Oh, and the Edel Rose didn't really help, so I may replace it with a third Dark Lord of Abyss.  I'm hesitant to take it out, though, since I feel like I get gradestuck more often than I should.  Eh, I'll figure it out.

12 comments:

  1. Why can't you just finish your HW on Sat, so you can go Kaijudo on Sun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've addressed this question several times.

      It's just that if Kaijudo tournaments were on Saturday, it'd be much more convenient, since I could just go to locals once per week and skip one of the Vanguard tournaments. But if they're on Sunday, then I would have to either waste my entire weekend at locals and not have any time to do homework, or just go on one day.

      Now, you may think that it's an easy choice, since I can just go on Sunday for the Kaijudo tournament and skip the Vanguard tournaments. But the Kaijudo tournament is just a 2-3 hour thing, and that's it. It's a Sunday, so none of my friends can stay late after the tournament or anything, assuming they could even show up, so all I'd be doing is going to the tournament, then leaving immediately after. And it's kind of a far drive, so I wouldn't have enough time to do my homework after the tournament.

      On Saturdays, however, I get to go to locals in the morning and just play card games the entire time. I'm literally there for like 12 hours each Saturday, just playing card games with my friends. So, I feel like it'd be a waste to throw that away to just play a couple hours of Kaijudo.

      That's the main reason. I'd have to give up spending one day a week with my friends at locals in order to go to the Kaijudo tournaments, which doesn't really seem worth it. I'm going to try and figure something out, but I may just have to skip Kaijudo tournaments for now...

      Delete
  2. You haven't use megacolony deck for long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because it can't make good columns against crossrides. I'm going to fix it up with new cards from EB01 when I can, so I may end up using it sometime.

      Delete
    2. EB01? Are you making machining megacolony deck?

      Delete
    3. I'm considering it. I mainly just need the extra Critical Triggers, though, since Megacolony only have one at the moment.

      Delete
  3. What deck did your friend uses to beat that The End player?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually is able to pressure The End with 10k Coco? How? Not even Silent Tom boosted by gemini is able to threaten a 13k The End.

      Delete
    2. He used a bunch of 11k Grade 2's (Mocha and Glace) combined with 7k boosters (Dark Cat and Circle Magus) to make 18k columns easily. And it's not like he focused his deck around Silent Tom; he only played two of them. Not to mention the huge hand that he would generate, which would prevent The End's Persona Blast from ever going off.

      Delete
    3. Did he play 4 heal, 4 stand and 8 critical?

      Delete
    4. No, he played 12 Critical Triggers.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.